Saturday, June 26, 2010

Summer Curves


There is something very pleasing about drawing a perfect crescent. With pen or pencil in hand, drawing a smooth proportionate curve is satisfying when it flows so smoothly. The season of summer seems to invite curves into view, like the cresting wave, a lemon slice, a crescent moon.
Curves and crescents in nature are a comforting sight for me. They give rise to comfort and calmness. A sea shell, a flower petal, a gentle garden path, the arch of a foot bridge over a pond are some of my favorites. While they are subtle in their presence, like the supporting role of a larger picture, they don't scream for attention like a zigzag or spiral would.
Perhaps that's why I've decided to give the curve a more prominent role in this original watercolor painting. To allow it to stand on it's own for a brief moment in time.
Do you have a favorite curve in nature?

2 comments:

  1. This watercolor is absolutely charming! I love the combination of colors and the abstract nature of the piece. It would be great if you could mention the dimensions. Can't wait to visit your etsy store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bobbi,

    Thanks so much for commenting. This piece is a particular favorite of mine, so I'm pleased that you are enjoying. The dimensions of the original image, which I have recently sold, is 8"x10". I have reproduction prints of it on My Etsy.

    ReplyDelete